Sunday, December 14, 2008

In-FUN-mmation!

The best thing about having endometriosis (besides cysts bursting, extreme dieting, and psychotic mood swings on medically-induced menopause) is the inflammation. Some days, it doesn't matter if I only eat 100 calories and do 1000 sit ups (not that I can do sit ups right now, thanks to the pain factor), my stomach will be puffy as a motherfucker. And not only does it make me look fat, it also really hurts. 

The whole idea of this diet I'm on is to eventually get rid of the inflammation, and a lot of the pain. If I lower my estrogen levels, and cut out ingredients that promote inflammation and mesh poorly with estrogen, then I should find a better degree of pain relief. Now, I know this will take awhile to work, which is why I'm not going to make any decisions about varying from the strict diet until my sixth month mark, but I really didn't think I'd be in worse pain right after beginning it. Since I'm no longer putting my own personal toxins into my body, one would think there might be a marginal show of relief. Apparently not.

Over the past few years, I've played around with online support groups, because I don't know anyone (besides a cousin in Philadelphia) that has endo, and it's nice to connect with people my own age that are going through the same thing. Unfortunately, the online support group message boards might actually just be the most depressing things ever. The people are very nice and very helpful, but the overwhelming tone on the boards is one of confusion and frustration. It seems everyone's tackling the same problems, and yet only a very, very small number of people actually find relief or are able to live a completely normal life.

It's rare that I think of myself as someone with a chronic condition, or someone dealing with chronic pain, but when it does hit, it's a very unpleasant sensation. And, given that I'm prone to dwelling and throwing pity parties when I finally let myself get into one of those moods, it's not pretty. And, since I'm in a mood at the moment, I should probably get off the internet before I further shove my foot in my mouth.

No comments: