Thursday, March 26, 2009

AOL Doesn't Understand Concept of "Best"


So AOL Music and Movies  made a list of 10 Movies You Need to See Before You Die (someone's not great at PR over there) and came up with a few great hits:

- The Shawshank Redemption
- Witness
- Citizen Kane
- The Deer Hunter
- Life is Beautiful

Okay, pretty damn good movies. Then there was:

- Amelie

Fun? Sure. Quirky? Sure. A movie you absolutely have to see before you die? No. Not even a little. Not even remotely. Not on any planet. 

But it gets worse, because someone - someone getting paid to have an opinion on these sorts of things - added these "movies" onto the list:

- The Notebook
- Mamma Mia!
- The Others

I don't give a fuck if you're pissy at me for knocking The Notebook, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that movie is a must see before you shuffle off this mortal coil. It was so boring, so insipid and obnoxious and borderline mentally retarded, and I couldn't even finish the movie, it was that bad. 

Mamma Mia? Couldn't pay me to see it.

The Others? The Others? Funnily enough, I was literally talking about this movie at dinner tonight, commenting on how absolutely stupid and painfully obvious it was (this from a 6 Degrees Of thing, where we were discussing Michael Jackson's Glory Days > Michael Jackson's Revival > Michael Jackson's Plastic Surgery > Michael Jackson Spoof in Scary Movie 3 > Scary Movie 3's Michael Jackson + The Others Spoof > The Others) and how it only deserved to be mocked, and nothing more.

And yet AOL thinks we haven't lived our lives if we haven't seen it.

Can I take that person's job, please? I promise I won't force you to see movies that will end up killing you, rather than fulfilling some greater purpose in life.

1 comment:

Me said...

I've seen one movie on that list. I'm hardcore!

Eat the movie, watch the corn pop.

See! Hardcore.